Friday, June 6, 2014

squash racket silkscreen


































In addition to the digital misuse of my squash racket, where I used the grid of the racket to create a typeface, I also ill-used it in an analogue way.
I turned it into a silk screen and exposed it while the strings where still on the racket to get a nice grid print on the paper.




















This gives me the possibility to create different shades of grey by turning the racket in a 45° angle and printing over the same paper a second time. This is basically the same principle the old masters like Rembrandt and Dürer used in their etchings and wood cuts. The more lines on one spot, the darker it gets. I tried this technique on a big paper sheet as my method is quite a rough one, not easy to control.
I decided to paint/print a portrait of Jahangir Khan, 'worlds best squash player' from the 70s.

































silk screen painting, 120 x 150 cm

No comments:

Post a Comment